Sunday, July 26, 2020

Fighting Depression, continued


I don’t know how to start this other than to say: I’m here. I’m okay. I’m going to make it through.

A couple of months ago, I wrote a blog post about my anxieties around depression. I wrote about what it had been feeling like to live in quarantine, my feelings of loss and lack of routine, my sadness, my hopelessness. 

At the beginning of June, I returned to work teaching preschool with strict regulations in place as California began to reopen. And now, at the end of July, I have made the decision with my therapist to go on medical leave until my mental health improves and the overall pandemic and political environment shifts. 

Everything hurts right now. 

There’s no “but”, no follow up that will make it all worth it. This depression is happening and it is painful for me, and that’s real. It’s a struggle I’ve know for over 10 years, and it’s back in a heartbreaking way.



Last wednesday, I began my medical leave with a note from my therapist. I cried a lot. I love my job so much, I love the work I do, and I love the children I teach. But I knew I was no longer able to work in the environment of pandemic preschool life. 

I’m crying as I write this, because I truly believe early childhood education is my life’s purpose. I’m hurting so much because I know at this time in my life, I can’t teach. I can’t be responsible for shaping other minds when mine feels like fog and mist. I cannot take care of others when I can barely care for myself. And yet, I mourn.

Depression is not just about what is missing, but about what passes you by. It is not just the loss of good emotions, or a lack of motivation. It is watching your life pass by with a vacant stare, and all you want to do is cry and cry and cry.

I am beyond blessed to have a family who knows me, who knows my struggle, and who accepted me with open arms the moment I broke down. My parents caught me as I started to fall, cradling me with compassion and care.

I don’t know what’s next, but it will continue. My life will go on, because I am here and I am living and I sure as anything am not giving up.

I am at my parents right now, sleeping in my childhood bed. My walls know my cries from years ago, and my blankets welcome me back like the depression I have come to accept. I have long demolished the shame of asking for help. There is no shame for me, only love and acceptance and care.

I embrace my muted emotions as the summer dusk settles in. I cry for what I have lost. I smile through my tears because despite everything, I’m still fighting. 

It’s okay to ask for help. It’s okay to take a break. It’s okay to admit you’re struggling. It’s okay if none of that feels okay but I promise it is all okay.

You are here. I am here. We are loved and we are cared for by so many people. We will fight on.

With love, strength, and tears,

Rivi 

5 comments:

  1. I am so moved by your writing and by YOU. I, too, have suffered from depression. You line, “Depression is not just about what is missing, but about what passes you by.” - I understand. Hang in there. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fight on....teaching will be there when you’re ready and asking for help is a strength. Thank you for writing because they are words that comfort. Hang in there. Sending you love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Through all of this, you continueto be an inspiration that reaches the soul. Thank you for letting us in, showing us a strength that exists through all the tears, and helping us share our strength to support you.
    During cancer treatment years ago, I learned that strength does not have to be represented by a closed fist. There is so much strength is knowing how to reach out with an open hand..... sending love and hugs - Marilyn Heiss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your bravery in speaking out AND for continuing to shatter to stignma that exists around mental health and depression. This experience, this pause as you watch your life pass you by, though painful, will make you that much more of an amazing teacher, for preschoolers and everyone around you. Keep fighting. -Christine Leppones

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rivi, even from this dark place, you are helping others. Thank you. I look forward to hearing that you’re feeling better because if there’s one thing we know about depression it’s that it ebbs and flows.You are loved.

    ReplyDelete