Saturday, January 21, 2017

Not My President/Protest


This is very bad.


Trump was sworn in to office yesterday. Women's march in DC, as well as protests across the nation, are taking over cities today. And here I am, sitting in a cafe in Claremont, wearing a pussyhat project handmade knit hat and writing this blog post that less than 100 people will probably see.

Is the pen mightier than the sword? Or, in this case, the amazing protest signs?


Let's take a step back. I knit the hat I am wearing. I made it with the full intention of getting up at the crack of dawn this morning and riding public transportation downtown and walking in the cold or heat or rain holding up masterfully designed signs with other college students. So how did I end up in a library cafe, far away from the action?




The short answer is: I decided not to go. I decided I didn't want to march.

I want everyone, women, men, children, adults, etc. to recognize that during this trying time, your decisions are valid and do not need explaining. Everyone should always have the freedom and confidence to say no to activities that do not enrich or may even damage their quality of life. And that is your decision. (Of course, if there are consequences for others make sure you manage those too).

The longer answer includes my opinions of the effectiveness of marches/protests, my personal sensory sensitivities that restrict my ability to engage in large crowds and noisy environments, and the apprehensions I had on the toll this would take on my mental and physical health.

I've protested before. I've marched in the pride parade with my family and synagogue, marched across the Golden Gate Bridge with Rodef Shalom for Darfur awareness, and even marched with fellow Claremont College students after the shooting of Michael Brown and the results of the trial of Officer Wilson. I have no regrets.


My family is liberal, democratic, social justice oriented, etc. My mom's side of the family is more conservative, though none of them voted for Trump (PRAISE) and even voted for Obama (despite some recent frustrations around his Israel policy). My dad's side of the family is not really political.


Thanksgivings are always an interesting time when we spend it with the Levines (my mom's side). My cousin Robert and I have some, shall we say, "lively" debates. We are both opinionated, strong, independent college students from different sides of the aisle. And luckily, we each have a tough skin and enjoy making fun of the other's beliefs. All in good fun.



I made the active decision to not go to the protest. I do not support Donald Trump, his policies, or his beliefs. I am disgusted by many, many of the things that come out of his mouth. But, at the same time, I hear Robert explaining that Trump will be good for business. And I hear Poppy explaining to me that this is not the end of the world (as I may believe), but merely a dramatic change elected by a people who are tired of the same. I hear my uncles advocating for philanthropy and immediate solutions, rather than shouts and riots. I hear my family reminding me to take care of my mental health, and I know my mom is protesting somewhere and carrying her daughter in her heart.



So no, I did not go to the protest. I made my own decision. I am confident in that decision. I am growing, and learning, and changing. I am forming my own political beliefs in a climate that is changing every day. I hope all of us can continue learning, and making decisions that benefit the quality of our lives.

From strength to strength, Rivi


No comments:

Post a Comment