Sunday, January 1, 2017

Hillary Clinton is not a Psychopath


Hey 2017-- I know you're all high on your horse because 2016 was so universally hated, but don't forget you're got like, 2 weeks left. Then it's innoguation day and the future becomes pretty fuzzy after that.

The year is ending with Trump demanding Americans accept the election results. Which is fair, I suppose. He did say he would accept the results if he won. The one thing he was truthful about, and this is what we're stuck with-- damnit, Donald!

Let me be clear here: I am not arguing that the election was rigged, or hacked, or the results are untrue in any way. I will say this, and this is important.

The people elected Hilary Clinton. The system elected Donald Trump.

The title of this post is regarding the constant allegations that Hillary Clinton is a psychopath, or a pathological liar, or literally the devil. I am not even going to begin to discuss my thoughts on Donald Trump's psychological health.

Because the political spectrum at my college extends all the way from leftist to liberal, I often stumble around conservative articles and podcasts to make sure I am hearing both sides. Partisan politics and biased news coverage concern me, and hopefully I can write more about that. In order to avoid getting sucked into my liberal bubble of Buzzfeed and John Oliver, I will push my comfort zone and purposely listen to conservative viewpoints. Specifically, I will tune in to Louder with Crowder (Steven Crowder), because he has a podcast and I can knit to that.



Steven Crowder made several allegations that Hillary Clinton was a liar, and a psychopath. To be fair, he was not necessarily an advocate for Trump, but he truly despised Hilary. One interesting (?) point he made around the Pnemonia issues questioned why Hillary would lie if she could easily tell the truth.

And look, I don't know why Hillary claimed she fainted fro dehydration when it was really something (barely) more serious. But his point got me thinking-- is there any basis to this claim of Hilary Clinton being this cruel, manipulative politician?

To answer your question, no. Hilary has fought and worked and exceeded all expectations and still she is a punchline. This is why I truly wonder if it would be better for her to have no emotions at all. What she has to go through-- jumping the highest bars while Trump is applauded for standing still-- is unfair, to say the least. I cannot imagine what is going through her mind. And yeah, it has to be said-- life isn't fair. Especially if you are a woman in politics.

Hillary Clinton broke the glass ceiling. We have a long way to go. Women of color are still in a uniquely difficult position that I am in no place to discuss.

By breaking the glass ceiling, she became the feminist sacrificial lamb. We laid her out to the slaughter and promised her good things. We nailed her to our feminist cross and watched her wither while we continued to criticize.

(Even Jesus had that whole "son of G-d messiah" thing going for him. Hillary doesn't even have that much).

And I know there are going to have to be more of these women. Women who will speak up and speak out and demand more. Women of color who will try three times as hard as the white woman, who already works ten times as hard as the white man.

This fight isn't easy. But it's a fight that will linger on, long after that glass ceiling is shattered. And here we are, left to pick up the pieces, with dread we can only pray will someday turn to hope.

From strength to strength,
Rivi

No comments:

Post a Comment