Sunday, April 29, 2018

Rivi Graduation FAQ


I've been getting a lot of questions as I near my college graduation, so I figured I'd put together a list of questions and answers to help better illuminate my post graduation feelings and plans.



Q: You're graduating?!
A: Yes! It's been an amazing four years at Pitzer College. I will be graduating with a Bachelor's of Arts in Psychology.


Q: What are your plans after you graduate?
A: Great question! I am currently set up to start a master's program at Claremont Graduate University starting in September.

Q: Where will you be living?
A: Over the summer, I will be home in Marin county with my family, celebrating my successes and taking a much needed rest before moving back to Claremont in August.

Q: What program?
A: I am pursuing a master's degree, and hopefully eventually a doctorate, in positive developmental psychology. Claremont Graduate University is one of only a few schools in the world that offers a degree in positive psychology.

Q: What is positive psychology?
A: I usually explain it to people as the psychological study of self-growth/self-improvement, the exploration of individual and organizational behavior patterns, and the science of happiness and positive emotions.

According to Psychology Today: "Positive psychology is the study of happiness. Psychology has traditionally focused on dysfunction—people with mental illness or other issues—and how to treat it. Positive psychology, in contrast, is a field that examines how ordinary people can become happier and more fulfilled."

Q: What are you planning on doing career wise?

A: In an ideal world, I would write inspirational memoirs and non-fiction books, helping people understand and use positive psychology for pursuing their dreams and living a meaningful life. I would make loads of money off the royalties of my incredibly successful books that are all New York Times Bestsellers and also I get to meet Oprah.

Realistically, I will probably pursue a career in the government or non-profit sector and write on the side. I will aim to make policy changes, specifically focusing on education and disability advocacy, using my writing and research skills to help the larger community.

Feel free to reach out if you have any more specific questions, and I may put up another post soon with follow up FAQs.


With love,


Rivi


No comments:

Post a Comment