Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Joining the Health Club

New Election Cycle, New Me


You've probably heard of new year's resolutions. You know, the time of the year you are definitely going to lose 20 pounds, go to the gym, wake up early, and cook a three course meal every night? Yeah, that idea. Well, I'm starting some now, on a Tuesday in November.


In case you haven't heard, I got a cat! His name is Salem (like from Sabrina the Teenage Witch-- the proper one, with Melissa Joan Hart). He's six months old and I adopted him from a shelter called "Priceless Pets". We are very much in love and quite happy together. He makes me want to be a better person. Or I assume he does. After all, he's a cat.


It is November 6, 2018 AKA midterm election day. There have been reports of a blue wave and I pray that it comes in roaring, covering our nation with officials who will work for the people and not for the profit. But whatever does happen when the numbers come in this evening, I've already made my decisions.



I don't mean just about voting, which I did last week by mail. I'm talking about bettering myself, to be the change I wish to see in the world.

So I signed up for the Claremont Club, a gym/health club only a half mile from my apartment. I'm trading in my Starbucks Frappaccinos for protein health shakes. I'm switching my morning Netflix binge for a walk to the club. Because when everything else is out of my hands, at least my choices, my behavior, and my lifestyle I can control.

I wrote a while back about leaving the competitive graduate program I had my heart set on. As it turned out, my dream did not match the reality of a masters program in psychology, so I withdrew and I moved on. Always forward, never back.

Now, I am enrolled in a few online academic courses in child development to gain the credit I need to work at a nearby preschool. I am planting myself in Claremont, becoming my own person, and growing into a strong and independent woman.

On the surface, I got a cat. I voted by mail. I signed up for online classes. I joined a gym. But to me, it's more than that. I'm planting myself in Claremont and starting my life. I'm planning ahead. I'm planning and working towards a future I feel excited about. I'm shifting my routines to build a healthy body.

And I am proud of myself.

With love and strength, 

Rivi

No comments:

Post a Comment