Sunday, September 17, 2017

A Good Day



This morning, I woke up with a pounding headache and the vague recollection of terrible nightmares. Last night, I wrote an open and honest post about the difficulties of settling back into college. The act of writing the post was therapeutic in a way, and I went to sleep feeling better than I had felt in days.

Despite my pounding headache, general tired and sick feeling, and nightmares I couldn't quite remember over the night, I made the decision that today would be a good day. I was done having bad days. I've had quite enough of those, and I'm going to start this week on the right foot.


I got out of bed, and walked to the suite bathroom to wash my face, where I was delighted to notice a little sticky note reminding me not to put food in the sink. As strange as this sounds, this made my whole morning. I had been struggling over the past few days to find ways to respect the common space despite knowing I am not good at keeping things clean and my suite mates prefer not to have a sink clogged with tomato sauce. 

I texted my suite mates and asked if it would be possible just to add little notes for me, for my ADHD. I know it looks silly to other people, and it may seem unnecessary but I was convinced it would help. My suite mates had expressed a desire to make a cleaning schedule and some suite wide rules, which I had anxiety for because I have anxiety and that's who I am. Getting to wake up and see that these people I barely interact with had respected my quirky requests and adapted the living space to work with my needs made a surprising and positive impact.

I knew then, I was going to do everything to make this day a good day and this week a good and productive week. Opening my Facebook, I was swarmed with love and support from last night's post. I remembered that even on my bad days, I can still be an inspiration. 

So now I'm at Starbucks, making a dent in the ridiculous amount of readings I have to do for this week. I treated myself to my favorite high calorie frappaccino, because every now and then, I deserve a treat. I wrote my mom a note during my study break. I have got half an hour of focused reading under my belt and hours ahead I am convinced I can conquer. I am happy. I am motivated.

It's a good day.

With strength and love,

Rivi

P.S. I remembered what my nightmare was about-- all my stickers had come unstuck and were globbed together in my backpack. Luckily, I found my sticker pouch safe and organized while setting up my note taking and planner supplies. Geez I have weird dreams. I should probably chill on the midnight Cinnamon Toast Crunch snacking.


No comments:

Post a Comment