Monday, January 15, 2018

The Optimist with a Half Empty Glass





I assume you all know the old adage "Glass Half Empty/Glass Half Full". The idea is, when presented with a glass filled halfway with liquid, do you describe the glass as half empty, or do you say the glass is half full?


I always hated this test.








As a child, I could never quite verbalize what about this question made me flinch. A good portion of my frustration was probably due to my undiagnosed anxiety disorder being paraded as a character flaw. In addition, in a world of complexities and personality challenges and environmental factors, how is this hypothetical glass of water in a hypothetical situation supposed to be a valid representation of my mental perspective?

I mean, it's not. We are all multifaceted human beings subject to systems of oppression, privilege, and environments that shape how we see the world. One person might view how wonderful the mere existence of that water is, celebrating that half full glass, and then settle for mediocrity instead of reaching the full potential of the glass. Or someone may see the glass as half empty and use that frustration to find a way to fill the rest of the glass. Because it's not just what you see, it's why.

Maybe I'm taking this metaphor too far. But since we're here now, let's continue on with the tangent.

I see the glass as half empty, not because I am a pessimist, but because I think the glass should be half empty. Or fully empty.

We live in a world of abundance, especially considering the first world nature of our environment. By seeing a glass that is half empty, I am not seeing a lack, but rather a representation of what has been consumed. If I use up half the pages in my notebook, the empty pages represent potential to be filled. If I have ten postcards and I mail five (bear with me, I promise this isn't a math test), those five postcards don't just disappear into thin air. The empty space, so to speak, is now transformed into memories and activity. A glass half full is a sign of a hoarder. (Not that I'm still bitter or anything)

So, as the new year and new semester begins, I urge you to reflect on the "empties" in your life. What books did you read all the way through? What notebooks did you fill up with ideas and thoughts? What pens ran out of ink? How many snack bags did you go through on any given school day?

What are the things in your life that give you joy? Use them up. There will always be the potential to refill your glass.

From strength to strength, Rivi

No comments:

Post a Comment